Collecting data …

small__3355106480
photo credit: Mykl Roventine via photopin cc

This week, we will be starting our next Maths unit all about Data.

Do you know what data is?

Or why we might collect it?

Or what data might be used for?

Or how it is collected?

Well, we will explore these questions and more this week. But firstly, one way we can collect data is by ‘crowd sourcing’ it – asking a question on our blog and inviting people to answer it.

So … what question do you think we should ask that would enable us to collect some useful data??

20 thoughts on “Collecting data …

1. Hi 5/6 MK,
    Last year we collected data on favourite ice cream flavours and there were some VERY suprising answers!! The question was: What is your favourite ice cream flavour?
    Mary

2. Maybe you could find out about the types of tablets people use… iPads, android or windows? Or maybe the type of technology kids use… desktops, laptops, phones, etc…

3. Hi 5/6MM,
    I think a good question to ask people could be what is your favourite way to collect data? Is it asking people face-to-face? Or is it crowd searching a question?
    Bess

4. Hi 5/6 MK,
    I think we should ask the question what is more convenient: a computer iphone or tablet?
    Or what is your favourite type of biscuit?

What is the best way to collect this data?

From Hannah

5. Hi 5/6 MK
    I think that a good question would be ‘what sport do you play?’ and graph the results.

What would be a better way to display our results?

Mal

6. Hi guys,
    I think we should ask a question like this:
    what is your favourite fizzy drink? or
    what is your least favourite flavoured milk?
    Also I think that collecting data gives you a bit of an idea of what other people think.
    Also I have a question for everyone too! what is your favourite question that people have thought?

7. Hi 5/6 MK,
    I think some good questions to ask around are
    What is your favourite book ?
    What is your favourite subject ?
    Lilli

8. Hi everyone,

I think the best way to collect data is to put a questing on a blog or go face to face. Questing I think you could ask are what is your favourite colour or what is your favourite food.

From Mackenzie 🙂

9. Hi everyone,
    I think personally that a question should be what is your favourite movie? what do you think the question should be?

from Kai B

10. Hey Guys,
    I think what would make exciting question when your collecting data would be what is your biggest fear? Out of spiders, snakes, lions or cheetahs. Another question we could do for collecting data could be if you were going to write a book what kind of genre would it be? Si-fi, fantasy, comedy, or a fairy tale. Another question you could ask could be what is your favorite breakfast food?

11. Hi 5/6MK
    I love data! I am very interested in doing data. I think a we should do a exiting question like what is your favourite book?
    From Lucas

12. Dear 5/6 MK,
    I think a great data question could be “what nationality are you?” because there are a lot of different nationalities around this world, and you would get lots of different and exciting results!
    From Chloe

13. Hi 5/6MK,
    My question is how many people in our class have a pet & if so, what kind do you have? We are about to get a puppy and I have 3 hermit crabs, so I would be interested to know what everyone else has.
    From Jackson

• Hi Jackson,
      You have a lot of pets! What kind of puppy do you have? We have a miniature labradoodle who is 6 but he still behaves like a puppy! Are hermit crabs hard to care for?
      Mary

14. Hey guys
    I think a good question would be what is your favourite author because lots of authors have lots of books and I think it would be interesting to know.