How much would you pay???

We have started to prepare for Confirmation in our class and our Grade 5 students  are supporting our Grade 6 students and learning together. We are going to focus on the fruits of the Spirit this year. We can find the fruits of the Spirit in St Paul’s Letter to the Galatians:

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control

Mary told us we were going to have a fruits of the Spirit auction! We formed ourselves into teams and had a strategy meeting!! We were given $1000 to spend on the fruits and we had to prioritise – this was challenging for some groups! Then the fun began ….

photo 1 (5)

Do I hear $150 for self control? It’s against you Sir? How much is this fruit really worth to you?

Here is what each of the fruits was sold for:

photo 2 (6)

Are you surprised at which fruit was sold for the most??

It was a great learning experience and made us REALLY think about the value of each of these fruits in our lives. here are some of our reflections:

Our group decided to bid for the fruit love, because if you don’t feel loved you may be sad or angry and take that out on others, therefor you are not being a peaceful, kind or gentle person. We decided not to bid for gentleness, because if you love others, you will be gentle towards them. The gift faithfulness also interested our group, because to be a follower of Jesus, you will have to be faithful, be kind towards each other, and be a generous, gentle, joyful person.  (Mallory)

Today we had our fruits of the Spirit auction. Personally I loved that everyone was so enthusiastic. Our group decided to go for gentleness. To be a gentle person makes you a loving person, a peaceful person and a faithful person. So being gentle also helps us show some of the other fruits in our lives. We also went for joy because if you’re not joyful or happy, then half of your life will be spent moping about. there’s no point being sad every day. We only live once right and it’s okay to be sad sometimes but not every day. (Lilli)

In the fruits of the Spirit auction, my group bought gentleness and generosity. We wanted gentleness because if you are gentle, you also possess peace, joy, love and kindness. If you are gentle, you follow the message Jesus told us to live by, “Love one another as I have loved you.” We also chose generosity becasue as well as possessing other fruits, you are also selfless and you care about others. If everyoe possessed gentleness and generosity we would live in a world of peace and tranquility without wars or fighting. Everyone would be treated as equals and we would please God and follow Jesus’ message. (Bess)

Which fruit do you think is most valuable in your life? What would you be prepared to pay for it???

11 thoughts on “How much would you pay???

1. Hi everyone,
    The fruits of the spirit that were most important to our group would have to be Love and Faithfulness! Love because Jesus said to his disciples “Love one another as I have loved you!” Which mean Jesus wants us to love everyone in this whole world as Jesus has loved his disciples! Faithfulness was our second fruit of the spirit because God and Jesus want us to believe in them and be Faithful that they will listen to our prayers and protect us and guide us through the right path! What are your top fruits of the spirit and why?
    From Chloe

2. Hi Chloe,
    That is a hard question! I do believe that kindness is really important. I think if everyone was kind to one another, the world would be a greater place. I read a novel called ‘Wonder’ last year and one of the quotes from it was “If you have a choice between being right and being kind, choose kind.” This has stuck with me and I think it is great advice.
    Mary 🙂

3. Hi 5/6MK,
    I thought the fruits of the spirit auction went really well!
    Everyone had fun buying the fruits of the spirit and trying to get the ones that they really wanted.
    I wonder if any other classes have done a fruits of the spirit auction?

• Hi 5/6MK
      I think reading Bess’s paragraph was really interesting
      to compare and see what she thought was important to
      her.

Sienna

4. Hi everyone,
    The fruits of the spirit auction was so fun. Everyone got involved with it and bided a certain amount of money, to win that fruit they wanted.It turned out my groups fruit won on a bid of $700.
    from Courtney

5. HI everyone,
    I thought that was a great idea and it was interesting to see what others wanted.My group bought patience because we thought if you had patience you wouldn’t need self control because they are so similar.I think most people wanted self control because of their siblings.

Sienna

6. Hi everyone,
    The fruits of the spirit auction was really fun. My group really wanted self-control because you need self-control too control yourself if you do not then you will act all silly and sometimes do some bad things. In the end we got self-control for $700 which didn’t leave us much to get another fruit which is ok because we got the one we wanted. What fruit did you value the most?
    From Keeley

7. Rory’s grandparents and I really enjoyed reading about the fruit of spirit auction- I think the money spent on self control was money well spent. With out self control people would act on their impulses whether they were bad or good! Maybe some self control would stop me from eating all the chocolate in the supermarket!

Kim

8. Hi everyone!
    I think that the most important gift is love. If we all loved each other, the world we be a better place. The Fruits of the Spirit auction was really fun, but it had a lot of meaning to it. What gift is most important to you?

Mal

9. Hi 5/6MK,

We loved your ideas. When we first read this post, we thought you were talking about real fruits, however we now understand that the ‘Fruits of the Spirit’ talk about qualities that are described in the Bible.

We think Peace is an important, because if you have peace then you can be free and happy. Without peace you would feel stressed all the time. We love looking at your blog and finding out about your learning.

🙂 3/4LP

10. Hi guys,
    I think the most valuable fruit of the spirit to me would be the fruit of self-control because if you have self control you have patience, peace and so many more. What do you think is the most valuable and why? I would pay $600 for the fruit of self control.

From Kai B